How to get Planning Permission on Agricultural Land

16th February 2020

Landseeker
16th September 2020 at 11:29 pm

Is it easier or more difficult to get planning permission on agricultural land rather than equestrian land?

Mark Morris BA(Hons) MA MSc
    18th September 2020 at 1:51 pm

Please consider this an opinion rather than carefully researched expert advice, but if you want the land to build one house but aren’t running a farm from it, I think equestrian land would be a better bet. The country needs land to grow food on – we don’t (strictly speaking) need land for horses to run around on. Equestrian land is also more likely to have existing buildings that you can convert into living space – and nicer buildings at that.

Cal
12th October 2020 at 4:42 pm

First of all, thanks for the informative post! In your estimation, are derelict agricultural buildings/land more likely to gain a positive outcome from planning officers?

Kell
15th November 2020 at 5:41 pm

Can I build on what Is advertised as farm land because sheep on there, but there is two property’s already either side very close and it’s in a village area with school / football pitch and pubs seconds away so it’s currently not in middle of no where
Thanks

Dave
6th December 2020 at 10:17 pm

We’ve been living in a mobile home for 9 years on green belt land, we run a successful poultry business from the land. We were granted a caravan licence and planning permissions for a mobile home back in the 1980’s but only as a temporary shelter, not residential. What do you think our chances would be to acquire planning permission for a residential mobile home?
Many thanks
Dave

Nicky Cornwell
12th December 2020 at 5:49 pm

Despite quite a bit of research I am having trouble finding any answers that pertains to my particular planning dilemma.
I own a few acres in Somerset (used as grass keep) and I would like to place the fields at the centre of a contemporary art project over the next year to 18 months. To do this I need to have some kind of shelter/structure(jacklejg cabin/shipping container) in which to work and use as secure storage and ideally live there temporarily to complete the project (though I am prepared to be unable to do that part). I have absolutely no long term residential plans but according to informal advice the council will not trust me on this and will reject it as it will set a precedent. I was advised to go down the agricultural building route and apply for a ‘fodder and machinery’ store, but this is time consuming and an unnecessary, expensive permanent structure. I am now thinking of putting up a polytunnel (I can’t even find out if this needs permission unless I pay a few hundred pounds to get written pre-planning advice!) but although liking the impermanance of one it feels a real compromise on security, and I feel an even greater need to be able to stay on site for the duration.
The site has no other buildings so it cannot be part of a ‘permitted development’….I don’t know where to turn next!
Perhaps you will have a few words of wisdom or knowledge of a similar situation. Thank you for any advice or pointers you can give me. Apologies for the length of this. Regards, Nicky

Tara
30th January 2021 at 5:19 pm

I’m looking at purchasing a 7 acre forest in Co. Galway. It is considered agricultural land, and is intended for harvesting lumber, but I want to protect this land and do regenerative forestry. I want to put a small camping pod on the land, so that I can camp on the land while I’m working on the forest. The camping pod would be very small, with no hookups. What is your suggestion for getting planning permission for the camping pod? Thank you!